9.20.2010

here goes...


Some may call me crazy for deciding to have two separate trips before I even reach Israel - lugging around my two suitcases and my backpacking backpack, which conveniently turns into a rolling carry-on, all around the east coast with me.  And actually, some people have called me crazy, and even given me weird looks, especially when I trip over all of it.  But thankfully, I have met some very nice men along the way willing to help me pick up my luggage when I needed it most!

This past week I’ve been testing the waters, seeing what it is like navigating and exploring on my own.  I know I am about to embark on a huge adventure with many unknowns, but at least through it all I will know that I have my life packed up with me and will, hopefully, always feel somewhat at home.

I had the unbelievable pleasure of spending a few days in Washington DC with some very special people.  With the exception of my family and a couple childhood or college friends, each person I got together with in DC I have met on different Israel trips.  Interesting, right?  I think this says something about the kinds of relationships, people you meet and experiences you have on group trips, or any trips for that matter, to Israel…I am so lucky to know such amazing people that hold a very special place in my heart.  
 
One of my main reasons to detour to DC before heading to NY was to be able to see my great aunt and uncle and my extended family.  It has been a blessing to be able to spend quality time with them prior to leaving for Israel.  I wouldn’t have changed that opportunity for the world.  

my beautiful family
So, what kind of knowledge did I leave DC with this time?  First, what an incredible city it is, one that has a very stimulating, and young, environment.  I love being surrounded by intelligent people, especially people who know what is going on around the world, and DC is a wonderful melting pot of people just like that.  Although I can do without the constant political talk, I appreciate how DC is home to some of the greatest non-profits out there – and the greatest part about non-profits are the people that work for them, living every day for the cause they are so passionate about. DC could definitely be my home sometime in the near future…

Second, it’s close to impossible for me to explore a new city on my own without some sort of mishap, but then I guess it wouldn’t be as fun – or at least that’s what I tell myself.  Remember for next time that discovering new forms of transportation is great and very helpful, but be sure to know what direction the new form (aka the public bus) is going to be sure you aren’t leaving the state and going in the opposite direction you need to be.  My day of solo exploring led me to Silver Spring, MD, instead of the Federal Triangle, but at least I got to see the Discovery Communications building up close and personal – thankfully there weren’t any hostages this time! Although it was a couple hours later, I did get back to where I was supposed to be and it turned out to be a great day :)

As for my third and final bit of knowledge, as my friend Annelise so perfectly stated, do not stare, whatsoever, to anyone walking down the street.  For me this was very tough at first.  For one, I am a huge people-watcher, and second, I love making eye contact with people…shoot them a little smile or just to say hello.  But, after one smile and one hello, I realized Anna was right, as everyone I smiled to either tried to start up some weird conversation with me, like that he thinks we know each other or met before or something in his past life, or they will attempt to hit on you, and we all know that never works out well…

I took a train to NJ/NYC today and as I sit here with a glass of wine in my hand and with my cousins by my side, I couldn't be more content.  I'm looking forward to seeing more friends while I'm here - hopefully even some more from past Israel trips! Definitely some of the best friendships around…

No comments:

Post a Comment